Thursday, February 26, 2009

Is there really a place where...



the women are strong, the men are good-looking, and the children are all above average? I made this tri-fold book for Sharon's birthday card/gift. The book itself was the container/display for a set of TV program DVDs. I removed the guts of the book which were cardstock glued in to hold the DVDs. Then I painted the outside cloth portion with shiny copper acrylic paint. At this point I really didn't know where I was going with the book. I knew I would be doing three different soulcollages but I didn't know how they would relate. They were almost complete when I thought they needed some words to pull it together. I came up with the Lake Wobegon words from Garrison Keillor and I was delighted that they worked with very little modification of the images. For me, the coolest thing was knowing that had I come up with the words first the images would have been really different (way too literal). The next step was the front cover and that nearlybrought the whole project to a crashing halt. I wasted a day fooling around with various cloth and paper combinations. At the end of the day in desperation I glued some things down. In the middle of the night I realized I'd never send it like that and that I would have to figure how to change it. In the light of day it became clear that due to my very excellent job of gluing previously that I would have to work with what I'd already done. Transforming the "hamburger" into a UFO helped and by adding more stuff to aid and abet that theme allowed me to finally call it done and send it.

1 comment:

Sharon Sahl said...

Kate, I've told you already but I am willing to tell whatever part of the world that visits here how much I loved this gift. It was so well integrated into the Garrison Keillor theme that I didn't know these were three separate cards until you told me. You have an ability to transcend the scene that I need to learn. Great hamburger too.