Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sharon's Birthday Food Book


For Sharon's birthday, I made her a fabric book of food quotes. It's not really quite a book since it's only four pages, but I made the binding large enough that either she or I could insert another signature of pages if we wanted to. The first page is a collage of magazine images mounted onto Tyvek that had been painted with acrylics. I then sewed that onto fabric. The second page is a magazine image that was transferred onto Tyvek with acrylic paints and then sewn onto fabric. The third image is a collage of red and blue/green magazine pieces in the background. Superimposed on top is a transparency sewn onto the paper and then the whole thing is sewn onto fabric. The fourth image is a stained glass window that I made on Photoshop with two stamps. I then printed the image onto a transparency and colored the back side with ink. I sewed it onto the paper background and then sewed a border. Constructing the whole thing with fabric was a challenge, but I think it worked.

2 comments:

Dieverdog said...

These are so cool. I saw them first on Sharon's site. I can't wait to see them in person next time I get up see her. I know she just loved getting this. The sayings on them remind me of things Sharon would put in her ow work - funny play on words that she loves - I enjoy that type of humor, too!

Sharon Sahl said...

Hey, great post!! Although it seems very familiar. I love your new avatar/photo and your new profile. I didn't realize you needed to have that particular kind of motivation but I'm always up to be on the receiving end.